Above is a photo of the University of Nashville.
This institute was a source of great pride in pre-war Nashville.
An outgrowth of Davidson Academy and the first
school established in the frontier settlement, the University
was built in 1802 on 240 acres south of Broad that had been
designated by the Tennessee legislative body ... "for the
promotion of learning in Davidson County."
This area would become known as College Hill,
later 2nd Ave S.
The University grew 'very modestly' until 1825,
when Dr. Philip Lindsley became president. He came on
board with very definite ambitions for the expansion of the
college and he put them into play.
Things were professing very well ... until the
Civil War reached Nashville and Confederates took over the
University to quarter troops.
troops converged on Nashville, too, and they joined the
Confederates in using the original Lindsley Hall (built in 1855
and seen here) as a military hospital.
In recent years, this building has been confused
with the Literacy Department building, but it truly was the
'first' Lindsley Hall
The Literacy Department building is the only
remaining structure of the original University of Nashville.
Built in 1853 and designed by famed architect Adolphus Heiman,
it is now used by the Metro Planning Commission.
from 1855 to the Civil War, the building (at right) served
as Western Military Institute, which was run by colonel Bushrod
Johnson, who later became a Confederate general.
Western Military Institute continued operation for five
more years after the war.
Following the close of the institute at this
location, Lindsley Hall served as the Children's Museum from
1944 to 1973.
is the first Howard (High) School (at left). It was
designed by Harvey Akeroyd in 1860, and it stood on College
(Third) at Highland.
In 1939, engineers found major structural
problems on the upper floors, and the school was forced to
The school acquired the land where the
University of Nashville had stood, and Nashville officials
elected to build a new academic facility on the old campus, this
time combining both elementary and high schools in one.
They named it Howard School, and the first class
graduated in 1941.
Howard School remained in use as a downtown
academic facility until 1969.
the early 1970's, the building was pretty much vacant until
Nashville officials decided to use it to house various city
offices. The high school portion was renovated, and the
auditorium floor was leveled to house the title division of the
County Court Clerk's office.
The rear portion, or elementary wing, was never
refurbished, although other city offices occupied the old rooms.
In 2008, demolition of this wing was started,
and the efforts to transform Howard School into Howard Office
Building began in earnest.
Now, the Howard Office Building looks like this.
In keeping with a more eco-conscious society,
our new space is GREEN,
which means that the Howard Office Building follows a blueprint
that increases the efficiency with which buildings and
their sites use energy, water and materials.
building is important because the growth and development of our
community has a large impact on our natural environment.
Sustainable building features within the
framework of the Howard Office Building include:
Reuse of existing building and re-use of
existing building site
Use of native plants and re-use of storm
Use of T5 bulbs, dimmable ballasts, day
lighting controls and occupancy sensors
Use of regional materials such as ceramic
tile made in Crossville, TN
In addition, updated HVAC equipment and
ventilation systems, low VOC* paint, low VOC adhesives and
glues, non-VOC admitting furniture and countertop materials,
plus advanced use of natural light with a large wall of glass
and exterior day lighting shades add to the 'colorization' of
*VOC means "Volatile Organic Compounds" which
have significant vapor pressures that can affect the environment
and human health.
Location - Location - Location!
700 2nd Ave S is a great location for our
We're in close proximity to Interstate Systems
Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) provides convenient bus
service. They have even partnered with Google Transit to
help individuals plan their routes. Click
to be directed to the Google Transit Trip Planner site.
MTA has also added a special route to the
Music City Circuit with buses that run every 15 minutes from the
Richard A. Fulton Campus to downtown on weekdays from 11:00 a.m.
to 2:00 p.m.
Various Metro offices are housed in two other
buildings on the Richard H. Fulton Campus:
Lindsley Hall: General Services;
Sports Authority; Purchasing
Metro Office Building: Election Commission; Water -
Permits; Codes; Planning;
Metro employees who staff the departments housed
in buildings on the campus use a brand new Richard H. Fulton
Parking Garage. This 5-story structure features
approximately 700 parking spaces, including those that are
stipulated for Metro vehicles.
Visitor, customer and vendor parking are
available at the surface lot near the Metro Office Building, as
well as the paved lot behind Lindsley Hall.
A high-tech security system is in place for the
A security officer mans the Security Control Center 24/7, to:
Monitor emergency call
Make 911 calls for
Emergency call stations are located throughout
the campus and may be contacted by calling 862-6599.
We take pride in continuing to provide great service to you in a
building that is rich in both history and presence.